Tuesday, June 19, 2007

VIBURNUM PLICATUM


Certainly one of the most beautiful shrubs in gardens today is this Viburnum. Blooming for roughly 2 months this Viburnum adds colour as well as structure to any garden. Japanese Snowball (Viburnum plicatum) has strong horizontal branch development and is ideal for the back part of a mixed beds, as a informal hedge, or mixed in with other medium sized foundation plantings. Traditional Japanese Snowball (Viburnum plicatum) is sterile, and often confused with its sub-specie Doublefile Viburnum (V. p. tomentosum), which has lace-cap flowers and produces berries. Both are wonderful shrubs. If possible purchase dwarf varieties because these plants can get big. I have mine located next to bright lime green Hostas and chartreuse coloured plants to play off this Viburnums dark green leaves. So even when not in bloom this area of the garden has some pizazz. Depending on where you live this shrub can have bland to amazing red Autumn foliage.

3 comments:

JvA said...

Hi, Bob! Thanks for checking out my blog.

Last fall I planted a single Viburnum davidii (I think). Will I get beautiful metallic blue berries again, or did I need to get two plants that could pollinate each other, or whatever it is that those nasty things do when we're not looking?

lisa said...

I like the viburnums that get berries...'Blue Muffin', especially. Do you know if birds eat the berries?

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Viburnums are one of my favorite shrubs. I planted a Viburnum plicatum this spring, it was just a twig but is doing fine so far.