Saturday, March 21, 2009

SEATTLE GARDEN SHOW 2009


In Mid-February Seattle had it's 21st Garden Show. This show is the 2nd largest in the country and is always eagerly anticipated by any one into gardening in the area. For me it really
kicks off the garden season. I've featured just a few pictures to show some garden trends and share some thoughts. Unfortunately the photos are not as crisp and focused as I would have liked ( I have a new camera and I'm still trying to figure it out). But I'm sure you'll see some very creative ideas that you can apply to you garden.

Multi-layered hard scapes in different colours

Outdoor living spaces with dual tasking (benches store wood and provide seating)
mixing contemporary elements with rustic/natural textures and finishes.

All foliage landscapes relying on textures, form, and shades of foliage.

Natural elements for form and function. These granite steps are 6 feet and larger!

Ground covers used in new ways. Pave' design used with these ground covers
creating garden wall.

Like above but here the ground covers were used to create an art piece in the patio.
A living Collage!

The continued use of outdoor garden rooms, the above created out of stone. Again the using natural material to function. There were lots of rock benches and seats creating small intimate areas designed into the garden.


I just thought this was very cool. It's the end of a tree (your seeing the roots) used as an accent piece as well as screen.

This display reminded me of how important it is to create peaceful areas that we gardeners can retreat to. The scale on this garden was wonderful. It really gave the illusion of depth in a very narrow garden.

The next post well show some of the incredible water features featured at the show.


BOTANICAL WORDS:
rugosus or rugulosus - meaning wrinkled
plants with this word - Rosa rugosa

10 comments:

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Wasn't it great? I hope it won't be the last as they are saying. You got some great pictures.
Thanks for visiting my blog! I planted 'Brandywine' tomato. It's supposed to be very good.

lisa said...

Wow, looks like an amazing show! I like the vertical use of ground covers, I've seen planters for sale at Gardener's Supply (too pricey for me though!). Looking forward to seeing the rest of your pictures!

Phillip Oliver said...

I really like the display with the ferns and the grasses. I also love the circluar stone benches. That looks really nice.

Shady Gardener said...

Your photos were Just Fine! You must have had a wonderful time. And I've thoroughly enjoyed your post. I'm so glad you're leaving posts when you have time! :-)

Bob said...

Catherine,
It was great meeting you. I look forward to more SAGBUTT meetings.
Good choice, I've heard that brandywine are great eating.

Lisa, the show was amazing. I look forward to sharing more pics.

Phil, the circular bench was really cool. Looks like something our garden blog buddy cliff (midwest gardener) would do. He is really great at the rock hardscape stuff.

Shady, thanks for the kind words. Things are getting real busy, but I'll do my best to keep up with the posts.

Anonymous said...

I saw that the SF show has been bought, so now we just have to cross our fingers that someone will come through for Seattle, as your rumor has it. I loved that overturned root ball, I put that in one of my posts too. Never heard of Mr. Burroughs, huh? Well, his memoirs are not for the faint of heart. :) And maybe they are a bit not completely true either, as it turns out...

Unknown said...

Nice recap... I especially like the tree-root screen!

Gardeness said...

Let's hope this show carries on. It was wonderful meeting you last weekend. Look forward to future run-ins and seeing more of your garden. Cheers.

KC MO Garden Guy said...

Looks like a great garden show. Love the pictures and they don't look out of focus to me.
Love the use of the ground cover on the wall. That is a great ideal I will have to see if I can use it in my garden this year.
Can't wait to see the water features. I am working on one for my garden. Having a hard time figureing out pump size and finding one I like.
Our garden show is this weekend here in KC. Hope I can find time to go. So much going on this weekend!
Hope things are going well for you.
Cliff

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very useful advice within this post! It's the little changes that produce the biggest changes. Many thanks for sharing!

My page; Signage Western Cape