Sunday, March 01, 2009

GETTING THE GOOD DIRT


Successful gardening is comprised of many things. Appropriate sunlight, adequate watering,
well producing hybrids or cultivars, and last but certainly not lest good soil. This is especially true for container gardening. The above pictures prove a valueable point. Both pots have the same plants grown in similar locations (just feet from each other). But the container on the left
had soil that had been used for several years (I had not replaced the soil). While the pot on the right had new potting soil. Both containers received the same amount of water and fertilizer.
As you can see there is a tremendous difference between the two. Lesson learned - I'll invest in new potting soil every year to get healthier vigorous plants.
I have always preached this at nurseries that I have worked at, I guess now I'll take my own advise :)



BOTANICAL WORDS:
patraea - meaning growing among rocks
plants with this word - Quercus patraea

5 comments:

Shady Gardener said...

Yea, You're Back! :-) Now I'll hop to the task of reading your posts!!

Ewa said...

You are back! great.
what a huge difference it made for these two containers. Good lesson - thank you.
Greeting,
Ewa

Bob said...

Thanks Shady and Ewa.
I'm delighted you stopped by.
Keep coming back, I have lots of
posts to share.

All the best,BOB

KC MO Garden Guy said...

I couldn't agree more. I have so many posts that it gets rather expensive buying all that potting soil.

Shady Gardener said...

By the way, this was an amazing lesson you just provided! You can't argue with the comparison.