Sunday, March 08, 2009

AEGOPODIUM

I love this time of year exploring what new hybrids that are available and seeing new plant introductions. It can be very tempting seeing so much garden candy. I use to be more impulsive when purchasing plants. But now with garden experience I'm much more calculated in what plants make it into the cart. One thing that has helped is blogs by fellow gardeners that inform me of their experiences when investigating plants that I'm not familiar with. On that note I thought to share a plant you might want to stay away from.
Aegopodium podograria 'variegatum' (Bishops Weed) is a beautiful hardy ground cover with multi tonal variegated leaves that prefers partial shade locations in moist rich soil. In a 4 inch or 1 gallon pot it can look harmless until you releases it into your garden. Once established it is very aggressive spreading by underground runners as well as copious reseeding. Reseeding can be deterred by mowing of flowers which does flush out fresh new foliage. However, this plant loves to spread. It can be contained by metal or cement barriers dug into the ground. It is a very attractive ground cover and if you have a large area that has difficulty growing anything you may want to consider it. If not there are many other ground covers that are far less invasive allowing you more time to enjoy your garden instead of working in it.

BOTANICAL WORDS:
spathulifolius - meaning with spoon-shaped leaves
plants with this word - Sedum spathulifolius

10 comments:

lisa said...

I swear that mine must be the only garden on the planet where bishop's weed is not a problem. I have it in two small patches (maybe one foot square), and it has stayed exactly the same for the last 6 years! Maybe harsh winters and competition keep it in check?

KC MO Garden Guy said...

I have seen this plant at the garden center and wonder why they sell it. I guess it is an easy buck for them to make. I have a couple of invasive plants I need to do a post also to let everyone know.
Thanks Bob!

kymmco said...

I'm with Lisa on this. I have a little patch of this that I just love by my backyard pond - it's been there for at least ten years and has spread to not even a foot square. Perhaps the key is to put it in tough conditions (my spot is pretty dry woodland shade despite being near the water), or put it somewhere nothing else will grow!

Anonymous said...

hey your blog design is very nice, neat and fresh and with updated content, make people feel peace and I always like browsing your site.

- Norman

Anonymous said...

ha, I will try out my thought, your post give me some good ideas, it's truly amazing, thanks.

- Murk

Anonymous said...

ha, I am going to test my thought, your post bring me some good ideas, it's really awesome, thanks.

- Thomas

Anonymous said...

awesome blog, do you have twitter or facebook? i will bookmark this page thanks. jasmin holzbauer

Anonymous said...

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic.
I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this information for my mission.


my website: Ohio Movers

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the good writeup. It actually
was a leisure account it. Look complex to more introduced agreeable from you!
By the way, how could we keep in touch?


get money online

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do think this is a great blog. I stumbledupon
it ;) I may come back yet again since I book marked it. Money
and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich
and continue to help other people.


Dermallo facts