Monday, August 13, 2007

AGASTACHE



In the past I posted about Agastaches but wanted to share some of this years photos. The top is Agastache foeniculum (Anise Hyssop), it's a wonderful easy care perennial requiring full sun, great drainage and has foliage that smells like licorice. The bottom picture is of Agastache mexicana 'Acupulco Orange'. Like A. foeniculum it prefers full sun and wonderful drainage but it's leaves smell lemony. In addition, both are drought tolerant when established and are deer resistant. Butterflies, Bees, Hummingbirds are attracted to their colourful flowers, and both start blooming in mid-summer and go till the first frost. Dead heading is not necessary, but occasionally removing spent spikes keeps Agastache looking its best. A. foeniculum is the hardier of two tolerating temperatures down to -20 degrees while 'Acupulco Orange' is hardy down to zero.

I really enjoy both of these plants. Not only for their beauty but also for their fragrant foliage for which I love. When I'm near these plants I always take a leaf or two, crush it, and enjoy the aroma. And when guests are touring the garden I always tear a few leaves and share. It's a nice surprise. Wonderful smelling foliage is always a bonus, it really adds an additional element.

3 comments:

Dirty Fingernails said...

okay Bob, I am about to come and hang out with you!! Do you have views of the Olympics and Ranier?? This heat is killing me.. Your posts make me miss Silverdale.. I could grow anything there..

lisa said...

Very nice! I could use more drought-tolerant plants this year, cuz' we sure are in a drought! There's a thyme I have called "Doone Valley" which is very winter hardy, and its leaves smell lemony, too. Plus the foliage has splashes of yellow amongst the green.

Bob said...

Dirty fingernails, Sorry to hear about all the heat. Some areas of the country have had a very hot summer. I don't have views of the Olympics or Ranier from my house. But I do have some great territorial view of the foothills of cascades. In the near future I'll post a few shots of the view from my garden.
Wishing you some cool weather.
BOB


Lisa, It has been a dry year for you in your area. It has even hit our news. Have not heard of that hybrid of thyme, but any thyme is all right be me. It's a great plant. In the near future I'll be posting on creeping and upright sedums. Many that are hardy for your area and drought tolerant.
They are trend plants and you'll be seeing many more in gardens in the future.
Always like to see you drop by, all the best to you Lisa.
BOB:)