Monday, September 11, 2006

GERANIUMS



I've been amazed by some gardeners that will pass up some of the traditional favourites for all the latest and greatest plant cultivars and hybrids. They will go to there local nursery or garden centre and not even look at the more common annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees, only to purchase the most resent varieties. Don't misunderstand me, I love seeing and acquiring some of newest plant varieties available, I just think there are some plants that have been around for awhile that shouldn't be looked over. GERANIUMS (Pelargoniums) are one of those plants that come to mind that should have a place in every ones garden. They come in many colours, bloom for months, there are tall ones and short ones, and trialing ones. Many have beautiful foliage. There are doubles and singles, fringed ones, some look even like small star bursts. The below photo is one of my favourites --- Ivy geraniums. Besides the trailing growth habit, I love the bright colours they come in. They have wonderful waxy foliage. And best of all they are very forgiving if I forget water them and they dry out a little. I often tuck them into some of my containers or plant clusters of them in some of my mixed borders.

1 comment:

Ewa said...

I fully agree with you. I love pelargoniums. New plants are nice too, but we have to protect tradition as well :) and they are so easy to take care and great container plants as well.
greetings,