Monday, December 10, 2007

BARK

Well, all the leaves are brown and the sky is gray, to quote a song. Life has been busy with all the holidays, visiting family and a exciting new job. The garden is sitting silent in its winter slumber and there is a lot of barren dirt showing where perennials and annuals once flourished.
During this time of year in scanning the local foliage and fauna I find my eyes gravitating to the bark on trees. Often they go unnoticed because they are covered with summer foliage or we focus on their amazing canopies of these beautiful plants instead of their incredible trunks. Winter is a perfect time to enjoy the wrapping of some of our favourite trees, and with the background of snow or the gray of a cloudy December sky it only enhances their viewing. I have selected several photos to illustrate the wonderful texture and colour of a few trees in the neighborhood.
It is always a gentle reminder that even in a flowerless garden, or one filled with many deciduous plants, that there is always something interesting to study and enjoy.








10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob: You've reminded me to go out and check the Acer griseum for bark interest. So, what is this new, exciting job? Dish!

Shady Gardener said...

Bob, Can you post a footnote as to the variety of trees you've photographed! A couple are some I surely don't know!

Yes, everyone is curious about this exciting, new job! :-)

Andrea's Garden said...

Bob, great post. I saw something similar somewhere once and the photos were great, too. Glad you like your new job and that you still find time to post every now and then. Have nice Advent season!

Bob said...

Layanee, thanks very much for the comment. As far as the new job, for the last 6 years I've been a buyer for a garden center, my new job is with a large nursery in calif. selling plants to box stores as well as independants. This nursery grows the best product I've seen in years. I will still be living in WA and working out of my home as well as going to visit my clients. It's going to be a great fit for me. Plus it revolves around plants only, my previous job I bought, chems, tools, books, yard equip, bird seed, pots, soil, block, etc. I enjoyed being a buyer but this is more connected with my true love --- plants :)

Bob said...

shady, the trees are in this order.
(1) I think it's a cottonwood
(2) Madrona
(3) Western Red Cedar
(4) Paper Bark Cherry
(5) Zelkova

Always glad to see you drop by, Hope this helps.
all the best to you, Bob


Andrea, I'll try my best to keep up with the posting. I have a lot I would like to share.
Happy Advent to you too. Bob

Shady Gardener said...

Thanks for the footnote on the trees. Absolutely beautiful... things I've never seen! :-)

Thanks for dropping by! Do you think I should separate my baby amaryllis??

Merry Christmas!

Shady Gardener said...

Oh! Congratulations on the new job! Sounds Terrific!! :-)

David said...

Great photos, Bob. I've always loved the different patterns to be found in tree bark. Just found your blog--It's a good one, and I look forward to reading more.

lisa said...

Heh...when I saw the title of this post, I thought "Woof!" (Sorry, I just can't help it! ;-) I really love ornamental bark, in fact I bought a shagbark hickory tree for next spring already. I think I recognize an amur cherry in one of your pics-nice! I like the paper bark birches up here...do they grow out where you are? I was told they didn't grow well in northern Indiana because it wasn't cold enough or something, or maybe the birch-boring insects were too numerous...I forget. Anyway, nice post, and congrats on the new job, it sounds like fun!

Bob said...

Thanks lisa, we have several white birches that do well here, but they do sometime get insect. I've seen photos of shagbark hickories, very cool.