Monday, April 09, 2007

PJM RHODODENDRON



PJM's have to be one of my favorite rhody's. It's an early bloomer, blooming around the time of the daffodils and forsythia ( all making a great combo for March colour), has smaller leaves, looking more delicate than traditional rhody's, and only get to about 4 feet (making a great foundation plant). Mine are nestled in the mixed borders giving much need winter foliage in a landscape that has gone dormant. PJM's are very cold hardy ( one of the hardiest of all the rhody's) and turn a beautiful mahogany-purple during the coldest months. After blooming the plant produces bright green new foliage contrasting harmoniously against the darker green mature leaves and have an added bonus that when crushed smell like limes.
Whats not to love about the plant.
I have also grown a white cultivar of this plant, but found it to be less vigorous.

3 comments:

lisa said...

I like rhodes in general, but our spring weather is awfully unreliable. I was thinking of trying the "Northern Lights" series (developed in Minnesota)...any experience with them?

Bob said...

Lisa, Sorry I haven't grown any of the 'Northern Lights Azaleas'. But, from what I have heard they sound very hardy, and there are quite a few Hybrids. Thanks for dropping me a line. I enjoy your blog.
Happy gardening, Bob

Andrea's Garden said...

hello, came your way via Midwest Gardener. I love Rhododenrum. I have four of them which I planted when we built this house and they are coming along nicely. We will increase the spot they are in this fall since they are easily transplanted and need much more room. I have a White Cunningham which grows very well. Since I live right by the Alps I would assume that this would grow in the Pacific Northwest, too. Nice blog and nice pictures of your garden. Greetings from Germany, Andrea