Tuesday, October 10, 2006

HEMEROCALLIS


I just spent the afternoon starting to cut down many of perennials in the garden preparing them for winter dormancy. We are having our Indian Summer so I wanted to get started before the fall rains really get going. This time of year my Hemerocallis ( Day Lilies) were looking pretty tired and shaggy, much in need of a fall trimming. I only have two hybrids of Day Lilies --- "Stella de Oro" and "Happy Returns". Both are yellow, but Stella de Oro is more of a butter or maize colour while Happy Returns is more lemon. Both are great bloomers, starting in May and continuing till fall. I'm to lazy to constantly deadhead and remove spent foliage, so I clean them up twice during the season. The above is a close up of "Stella de Oro". Day Lilies are great plants that are very easy to grow and thrive on the smallest amount of attention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I HAVE JUST LAUNCHED MY TOP-10 FAVORITE SITES LIST & LINK EXCHANGE BLOG AT www.at-3.blogspot.com.

PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR LINKS IN THE COMMENTS SECTION FOR AN EXCHANGE, & WATCH YOUR POPULARITY GROW!

YOU JUST MAY END UP ON MY TOP-10 LIST ;-)