Monday, February 23, 2009

SNOWDROPS

Starting again. Its been a long time since I have posted on a regular basis. Sometimes life pulls you in other directions or one doesn't feel the motivation. I have continued to keep up with the photography and now feel its time to return and share some current and not so distant past shots.
Often I find the writing potion of posting to be the most difficult because I'm not very good at it. So you'll find my posts to more brief.
I hope you all enjoy, and if you do have question on any of the plants please
feel free to ask.




Even though Spring officially has not started, it always feels like it has when I see the Snowdrops (Galanthus) blooming. Here are some of the first bulbs to blooms. A native to Asia Minor and Europe the amaryllis family member prefer cold winter locations.
They are often confused with leucojums. Generally you can tell the difference by the different lengths in the petals and sepals of the Snowdrops (Galanthus). Were leucojums typically have sepals and petals of the same length.

In either case I find them delightful and a wonderful messenger that Spring is near.


BOTANICAL WORDS:
lineatus - meaning with lines, in a straight line
plants with this word - Convolvulus lineatus

No comments: