Thursday, January 31, 2008

A BEAUTY THROUGHOUT THE YEAR


With Winter still going strong and work being very busy, I haven't gotten as much of an opportunity to do the daily stroll to see whats growing. Other than some of the perennials and bulbs sprouting their still is not much going on. During these times I take great joy in noticing some of the old stand-byes in the garden that always seem to putz along without any extra care.
One of these plants is the Cotoneaster dammeri that I have several grouping of throughout the front gardens. I planted these roughly 3 years ago as a under study to the foundation plantings and they have worked very well.

Cotoneater is a member of the Rose family and when studying the flowers closely you can see it family resemblance (each flower looks like a miniature old rose).
C. dammeri is native to China and has been hybridized creating several sizes and berry colours. I have C. dammeri 'Coral beauty'. It's a variety that grows 12" to 18' high and about 6' wide. When the plant is young it's important to pinch it to promote fullness, then allow it to spread on the ground or cascade over walls and rocks. C. dammeri is hardy to zone 5 and requires little water once established. Spring flowers produce red to vermilion berries that form through out Summer and last till late Winter. Cotoneasters do best with minimal care and actually seem to look their best when left unattended once established.

Coral Beauty is an appropriate name for this plant because it really is a beauty throughout the whole year.


9 comments:

Phillip Oliver said...

That is a great photo. I don't have cotoneaster but I've almost bought it several times.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Cotoneasters are great plants to have in the garden as they go on and on and on. And at a time when very little else is going on in the garden. Lovely pic Bob!

KC MO Garden Guy said...

Hey Bob, Glad to see a couple posts from you. I was beginning to wonder if the holidays had gotten the best of you? Glad to see that isn't the case. This looks like a wonderful plant. I will need to research to see if it will survive here.
I also wanted to thank you for the calendar. What wonder pictures!! Besides all your plant knowledge you take great pictures. A man of many talents!! I have the calendar hanging in the master closet so I see it every morning and night. Thanks for such a wonderful gift.

Shady Gardener said...

You took a great photo, Bob. I don't have experience with cotoneaster. Do the birds eat the berries? (Are they poisonous for humans?)

lisa said...

I've always enjoyed cotoneaster, but never grown any. I especially like the small leaves, I think it could be a cute bonsai subject.

Bob said...

Thank you Phillip, If you have an area for it I would recommend it. It's a great plant needing little maintenance.

Thank you Yolanda for the kind words.

Cliff, glad you like the calendar. I appreciate the compliments. I don't really consider myself a photographer
but fortunately the point-and-shoot cameras these days make it easy to come out with something respectable.

Shady, I have not seen any birds go after this cotoneaster,but this species is low growing so it doen't really attract birds. I have heard that bird will eat the berries though, maybe on the taller shrub species. I do not know if they are poisonous.


Lisa, I have seen these bonsai d they do look good.

Andrea's Garden said...

hi Bob, I like Cotoneaster and you see it around over here quite a bit too. Glad you're back! Andrea

Anonymous said...

[color=#99bbdd]Nice page! I haven't bumped on gardensbybob.blogspot.com before in my searches!I found very useful information about
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]akne[/url] [color=#99bbdd]here... Keep up the hard work![/color]

Anonymous said...

[color=#99bbdd]Nice post! thank you for sharing this information. gardensbybob.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#99bbdd]bookmarked... Keep up the good site...[/color]