Monday, August 28, 2006

MONARDA




I planted my first 2 small clumps ( 4” pots) of Monarda about 4 years ago. It didn’t take long before it took off into the garden beds. I wouldn’t call it a plant bully but it certainly can be aggressive. None the less, I keep in the garden for many of its strong attributes. Two months of beautiful red flowers, a hummingbird magnet, fragrant foliage (of which a tea can be made) and practically no maintenance will always assure it a spot in the garden.


Unfortunately I don’t recall the hybrid that is planted. I do know that I selected a mildew resistant variety because of this perennials predisposition to that fungus. Every 2 years I divide and remove any unwanted Monarda. It’s very simple to remove since all its runners are on the surface of the ground. When in bloom this mint family member (easy to recognize because of its square stems) is always a favorite in my garden.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Oh, I love monarda's too! I just have two ones, the first is growing in my red border and the second one grows in a clay pot.

I usually don't cut them in fall but just in spring. They still look nice during winter days....